Category: New Release
We just released XPV version 188.8.131.52. This version speeds up the detection of USB devices added after the service starts. Detection happens in 3-5 seconds instead of taking 2 or more minutes.
So now if the user inserts a UDB wireless card it will be detected and disabled quickly.
We just released Wireless AutoSwitch XPV version 1.5.6.
This version updates the code to recognize the new DisplayLink driver for USB Docking Stations and fixes a code routine that caused the app to fail in some situations when using a USB Dock (very rare situations so missed for a few months now).
Corrected an issue where the IPCONFIG /RegisterDNS command was being issued every 3 seconds for one customer. This was due to a broadband card not returning the status in a standard format, very few would have been affected.
We also added a routine to further evaluate the connection state. This was also to fix a rare situation.
We just released Wireless AutoSwitch XPV version 184.108.40.206. This version fixes an issue when using some USB docking stations and adds the Start Disabled feature (wireless disabled regardless of LAN).
In version 220.127.116.11 we added support for USB docking stations; recently we got a few reports that XPV was not working with some new USB dock stations. The issue was related to correctly identifying the USB dock and we have fixed that issue in 18.104.22.168.
We had a client request a new feature where all wireless cards would be disabled when the machine starts up (and Wireless AutoSwitch start) regardless of the LAN connection. Then the user can start Wireless AutoSwitch into normal operation with the use of a shortcut. This would only happen once (at start-up) and after that the standard auto switching facilities would go into effect. We added this feature for them and then thought maybe others would want the same. So now it is a production feature.
We added the feature ...
Read the rest of entry »
Recently we were contacted by three clients that started using either a Toshiba or Targus 3.0 USB dock and Wireless AutoSwitch was not working. Wireless AutoSwitch did not properly recognize when the LAN was connected to these docks.
This is now corrected in the latest version of Wireless AutoSwitch XPV (22.214.171.124) and Wireless AutoOff (126.96.36.199).
We have just released Wireless AutoSwitch XPV 188.8.131.52. Here are the additions:
1. Previously one needed to be an admin to run the "Wireless AutoSwitch On-Off" shortcut. Now, when installed in Mode 1 or 3 the Wireless AutoSwitch On-Off shortcut is created (as before) and can now be run by a standard (non-admin) user. When clicked the user will see the following message: "Wireless AutoSwitch is now suspended and all devices have been turned on." And if they click it again they will see:"Wireless AutoSwitch is now running."
In addition to suspending Wireless AutoSwitch, all wireless devices are enabled. And when the operation is running again, Wireless AutoSwitch will do whatever is appropriate (disable if on LAN, enable if not on LAN).
2. Based on feedback we have added a couple more virtual or system devices to ignore by default and also allowed for a WMI issue that get inconsistent status info.
Wireless AutoSwitch XPV can be downloaded from any page on thi ...
Read the rest of entry »
We just wrote a variant of Wireless AutoSwitch that some may like and find useful. It is called Wireless AutoOff. The function of the application is to disable all wireless by default regardless of LAN connection and only allow the user to manually request the wireless to be turned on, and this is only allowed it if there is no LAN.
- There is only one mode (what would be Mode 2 in Wireless AutoSwitch).
- The application starts and finds all wireless cards and disables them, regardless of the machine being on LAN or not.
- There is a shortcut created under "Start Menu - Wireless AutoOff" called "Wireless On-Off" (during installation you can choose to have the shortcut created on the desktop as well).
- If the user is on the LAN and clicks this shortcut they get a message displayed that this is not allowed while on the LAN.
- If the user disconnects the LAN and clicks this shortcut then the wireless is enabled.
- The moment the LAN is reconnected the wireless is disabled.
- If the user is not on the LAN and wireless is enabled, clicking the shortcut will disable all wireless.
The unique thing is that the user doesn't have to be an admin of the machine. The application is installed as a service and runs under the local system account. Clicking the shortcut sends a signal to the service to do a particular action and the shortcut app can be run by a non-admin user.
Try it out and let us know if there is any interest: http://www.wirelessautoswitch.com/Public/Wireless_AutoOff.zip
There is no manual yet but will be available soon. If there is interest or questions please email us at email@example.com.
We have just released Wireless AutoSwitch XPV 184.108.40.206. We have added two new feature in this release:
1. DHCP Release - Now, just before the wireless card is disabled a command is sent to release the DHCP address of that card. This will help reclaim IP addresses when the user is going from an internal wireless to the LAN. This only happens when going from wireless to wired. We cannot know when the LAN will be disconnected so this is not possible when going from wired to wireless.
2. Now when using the Wireless AutoSwitch On-Off shortcut (available only in Mode 1 and 3) to stop the Wireless AutoSwitch service all wireless cards are turned on if they are disabled. In the past using this shortcut only stopped or started the Wireless AutoSwitch service and left the wireless card in whatever state they were in.
Wireless AutoSwitch can be downloaded from any page on this site from the "Download - Latest Versions" box or www.wirelessautoswitch.com/Public/Wireless_AutoSwitch_XPV.zip.
As always you are downloading the full production version that is pre-populated with a trial license key that give 30 days of free usage. Customers that are licensed for Wireless AutoSwitch XPV can download and use this new release under the original purchase with their permanent license key.